Don't Be a Hoarder

I was enjoying a fine beverage and sleeve of fancy crackers when a television show made me choke on some crumbs. I was knee deep in a show all about hoarders. For those of you not as educated on mental disorders as myself, hoarding is the act of not being able to let go of anything you own, including junk.

I found this behavior absolutely fascinating and couldn't help myself from comparing this phenomenon to loving a jerk. Imagine for a moment that being in love was like being a hoarder. No matter how disgraceful the merchandise you could never bring yourself to tossing the junk in the garbage.

What triggers go on in the brain to make someone see worth in something that is worthless? And why if dating a jerk is it impossible to break up and walk away?

Perhaps one should look at the in depth study of hoarding behavior in order to help come to terms with getting rid of stuff that is no good. Or, perhaps one can do what they did on the show that I was watching. Order one big massive dumpster and toss the junk on in to it.

Now, mind you, I'm not literally saying you should throw your jerk boyfriend into a pile of ruble being shipped to land fill. That is absurd and for the Italian mafia only. All I'm saying is, if what you have is not worth much then getting rid of it won't really be a loss.